A team of independent candidates focused on truly representing the interests of local residents are putting themselves forward in the upcoming Central Coast Council elections in September.
The group of "Central Coast New Independents" are running candidates in three wards: Gosford East, Gosford West and Wyong.
"It's time for new faces on Council - we need true independents", said Jane Smith, lead candidate for Gosford East. "For too long, both the former Gosford and Wyong Councils have been running their own agenda with a focus on vested interests and political party agendas whilst ignoring the needs of local communities".
"Enough is enough. We want the community to take back control of our Council and the future of the Central Coast" said Ms. Smith.
"We have seen too many short sighted decisions by recent Councils", said Gary Chestnut, Lead candidate for Gosford West. "These include the out of control landfill at Mangrove Mountain Golf Course, attempts to force community groups to give up managing local facilities, increasing traffic congestion, parking chaos in centres such as Gosford and Terrigal and continually changing the planning rules for developers whilst ignoring the concerns of local communities".
"Many residents don't realise the important role Council plays in our everyday life, our Council needs to be accountable and serve our community better", said Mr. Chestnut.
“One of Wyong’s worst decisions is for Council to continually pour millions of dollars into Warnervale Airport which the community doesn’t want and can’t afford to pay for. At the same time residents miss out on services they really need such as roads, drainage and footpaths” said Louise Greenaway, Lead Candidate for Wyong.
We will be running independent teams in the following Wards:
- Gosford East: Jane Smith, Mitchell Lawler, Sue Chidgey
- Gosford West: Gary Chestnut, Lisa Wriley, Jean MacLeod
- Wyong: Louise Greenaway, Laurie Eyes, John Wiggin
Our team of independents stand for:
- Giving communities an effective voice
- Accountability and transparency in Council's actions and decision making
- Better planning that retains the character of the Central Coast while providing the infrastructure that the community needs
- Working with the local community to identify priorities for improving local roads, drainage and footpaths
- Protecting open space and the places we love - urban reserves, the bushland, waterways and beaches
- Supporting all our community groups, for example arts, sport, environment, recreation and neighbourhood groups
- Increasing education opportunities through a range of TAFE and University courses and cadetships
- Creating new local jobs, supporting existing and new sustainable industries
- Making Gosford and Wyong the regional centres whilst ensuring that all suburbs across the region benefit from Council’s decisions
- Providing efficient and cost effective waste and resource recovery services
- Protecting our drinking water catchments and agricultural lands
For more information about our candidates and vision - visit: www.ccnewindependents.com
Jane Smith (Gosford East) - 0413 788 722
Louise Greenaway (Wyong) - 0405 310 575
Gary Chestnut (Gosford West) - 0409 074 344